Tuesday 12 May 2015

Rust, Rust and more Rust - Sprite 400 Chassis

It was love at first sight when I purchased my Sprite 400. Thoughts of turning this little time-warped capsule into a usable family space made my heart skip a beat. My tiny vintage bubble van was all mine, bought and paid for, mine to keep.

You've watched George Clarke's Amazing Spaces yes? I guess this is very much like one of those projects. It's about creating a magical space that I can share with my family. In a moments notice we can be on the road and change our view at any given time. The kids are going to love it! Ok, so I've not given it too much thought about losing our creature comforts but that's all part of the fun right? Glamping I believe it's commonly known as. When it's not a family road trip it will be a room at the bottom of the garden.

So far the project has took far more man hours than I ever anticipated. It's definitely a labour of love. I have to admit that I did not foresee the painful process of cleaning up the vintage caravan chassis. My fingers hurt with all the degreasing, wire brushing and sanding. I really haven't enjoyed this job at all but I'm willing to get stuck in and see this project to the end (with the help of Mr. Grubby Cottage).  

A vintage caravan project will push your diy boundaries but it's achievable. It just takes time and patience. You have to be prepared to multi-task. You will do more preparation work than renovation and this can be a bore at times. If this happens simply walk away and do something else - this will keep your project on the move.

No comments: